Thursday, June 14, 2012

This week's project with Sandra was so much fun and I know I will be making many of these amulet friendship bracelets going forward. We learned knotting techniques and tricks of the trade to stop the nylon cord from unraveling. I opted to make the blue version shown below but invested in a black version (picture not up yet) that features an evil eye amulet in lieu of the cross. Sandra did a wonderful job researching the many associations attributed to the cross pre-Christianity so I got a history lesson in the bargain. It makes me realize that when it comes to fashion and design "everything old is new again".  The touch of bead chain Sandra added definitely gave the finished piece a modern edge.This class built on many techniques we have been learning: working with tools properly, working with jump rings and now we added working with magnetic closures. Definitely took patience - those magnets are strong! The history lesson continued about the Czech vintage wood beads we used which came from a pre-World War II supply successfully hidden from the Nazi's. I will think of my dear departed friend Paul Zenter, a courageous survivor of Theresienstadt when I wear these.



1 comment:

  1. So pretty!!!! I just left you another comment on the previous post. What's your plan for the week? I'm already getting excited about our visit west... Have lots of stuff to finish here first. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete